Friday, April 18, 2014

Lets talk about Lavender

First of all, lavender is so pretty:


The plant is mostly commercially grown for the production of essential oil of lavender - and that is what I am going to talk about today. 



I have only recently gotten into essential oils and am slowly finding my way around.  Lately I have been turning to essential oils before I make my way to the drug store or the doctor's office and usually I can find a remedy that works. 

So far - lavender is my very favorite.  I love the way it smells and feels on my skin.  Sometimes I put a drop or 2 in my hands and just soak up the scent.

I read about the benefits of lavender essential oils on skin and wanted to give it a try about a year ago.  I have these little bumps on my upper arms.  I call it 'chicken skin' and have always been self conscious and picked at them horribly!  eeewwww.  These bumps have bothered me for years - they are basically a raised rough and bumpy texture on my arms, they look like little pimples and not to sound gross, but I have taken great pleasure in popping them from time to time.  The scientific name is Keratosis and apparently about 50% of the population has it and it is most common in children.

They have always gotten better in the summer after a good sunburn or after several tanning bed sessions -  - but I am trying to treat my skin better/live healthier/bla bla bla  and wanted another solution, so I turned to essential oils. 

Each morning (or at night before bed), I rub a couple of drops of lavender on my upper arms.  I've been doing it faithfully now for about 6 months and am happy to report the bumps have gone down considerably and my arms have really softened up without getting a skin scortching sunburn!  (No, I don't have a before and after pic, sorry)  I also have been exfoilating a lot more, which helps too.  I am thoroughly impressed with what the lavender oil has done for my skin!  I also get some fairly bad chaffe marks from my sports bra when I run and have found the Lavender is really soothing to my chapped skin.

Lavender has a ton of other uses included but not limited to insect bites/burns/nosebleeds/hay fever/cold sores and dandruff.  I even read that it can help with Jock Itch!  Wooo who!  ;)

I have started using several other blends of essential oils, all from doTerra.  Their website is really easy to maneuver and has really helped me understand the benefits of essential oils.  A friend of mine, Christina,  distributes doTerra products - embrace your inner hippy and check out her facebook page - Essential Momma - https://www.facebook.com/#!/doterraheals  You will not be dissapointed!

Enjoy your Easter Weekends!  Enjoy time with your families and make the most of what God has planted on this earth for us!  Cheers!





3 comments:

  1. I might have to try essential oils

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! They are so much better for you than all of the chemicals that you pick up at the drug store. (Although I will not replace my Jennifer Aniston perfume)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! They are so much better for you than all of the chemicals that you pick up at the drug store. (Although I will not replace my Jennifer Aniston perfume)

    ReplyDelete

Comments: