Thursday, November 20, 2014

Been a While

Not sure if you've noticed - but I haven't blogged in a while.
My last post was in April.  APRIL!  That was months ago!  I missed the whole summer and part of the fall!  I've been going through the motions of life and just letting it pass on by along with my little blog. 
 
For your reference:  April was about 400 jogging miles ago, 3 cleanses, hundreds of shopping trips, thousands of selfies, several cases of wine, about 10 lbs (gained) and 4 fad diets ago.  So much to discuss that I missed and I apologize.
 
I've come up with some blog topics in my head - but just never quite get them typed and my motivation has been low.  I have been struggling with finding my blogging voice.  I am all over the place.  One minute all I want to talk about is running, exercise and healthy living, then next minute I want to be a fashion blogger, then I want to only post selfies, next a Paleo food blogger (until the weekend rolls around and I find myself in a nacho, Miller Lite and brownie induced coma).  If you can deal with me being all over the place - then here we go!
 
Although I have been going through the motions of life these past several months and not making the most of my blog, I can tell you that I've channeled my inner little old lady and my embroidery game is ON POINT.



 
I've always loved embroidered flour sack towels and pillow cases.  They always make me think of my Grandma and my Mom.  I don't remember either of them ever embroidering, but they always had a drawer full of embroidered towels or a linen closet with embroidered pillow cases.  The smell of my Grandma Mary’s linen closet always makes me feel good.  Even though she has been gone for several years, I can still stick my head in the hall closet and pull out an old embroidered pillow case and nestle it to my cheek, bringing in the scent, and it brings me home.  I love and have always loved looking at the detail and patterns and thinking about the person who made them and who they made them for.
 


This year I decided to make my close family members all handmade gifts.  (Spoiler Alert – if you are a relative, you might be seeing your gift on here, but I just couldn’t keep it in any longer).  I am not overly crafty or creative and had to watch several YouTube videos to get this done.  My mind can think up fabulous ideas, but my hands just can’t quite get it together.  Flour sack towels and embroidery patterns were the perfect choice for me.  You can iron-on the pattern (no free handing for me), choose the colors and watch them come alive.




I’ve made about 2 dozen so far and have to make at least 3 per week to stay on schedule for Christmas.  The first 2 dozen were made while I watched all of the seasons of the Sopranos…it was kind of odd doing such a nice and wholesome craft while watching Tony Soprano whack someone who owed him money or screw a stripper….but I pressed on. 





Choosing the patterns for people was my favorite part.  I tried to match each person’s set of 4 towels with their personalities, hobbies or lifestyle.
 
Although this new found hobby has caused me to miss a few runs and gym sessions, it has really calmed me down and helped me relax and erase the worries of the day while I watch these little characters come alive for the people I love.
 
If you need me during the next month, I’ll be on my couch, stitching up a storm!
 

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful Krystal!! I too love these towels! I hope next year you make some for your friends, YO!! Can't wait to see more blogs!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: